A tire tread depth gauge is a device that measures the tread depth in your tires based upon the depth level, determines if it is safe to travel with that tire or not.
Often when tires with lower tread depth are travelled with, it is not uncommon for accidents to occur. Such tires can lead to skidding and often end up as life threatening events. In order to avoid this, the tread depth has to be regularly monitored and the tires must be kept safe.
All kinds of vehicles require this sort of maintenance. Motorcycles, cars, trucks, and vans!
Although it seems like a troublesome chore there’s no complicated process for this, a simple tire tread depth gauge can be used to make sure your tires are safe. These tools are usually small and come in handy wherever and whenever. One can do these measurements on their own.
Here are 10 Tire Tread Depth Gauges that will help you keep your ride safe!
1. GODESON 88702 Color Coded Tire Tread Depth Gauge
This tire tread depth gauge is designed to measure tread depths from a range of 0 inch to 1 inch. It shows the divisions in 1/32 inches.
The device is also color coded to help convenient understanding of the situation. The color codes and the various indications are as follows:
- Red color : The range for this color is from 0 to 3/32 inches. This indicates that it’s dangerous and the tire needs to be replaced immediately.
- Yellow color : The range for this color is from 3/32 to 6/32 inches. This means a warning to be safe. The tire may be okay when driving under smooth roads but must be replaced before driving in extreme situations like snow storms or rains.
- Green color : The range for this color is from 6/32 to 32/32 inches. This is an indication of a safe tire. If this is what your device shows you, it means you’re good to go!
This gauge can be used to all kinds of vehicles like trucks and motorcycles and more. It comes with a handy pocket clip. It is easy to carry and can be used whenever!
2. Preciva LCD Digital Tire Tread Depth Gauge
This depth gauge allows you to switch the measurement display between inches and millimetre scale. This will allow to read the measurements with much more convenience as it does not include fractions in the millimetre scale. This is possible due to the large size of the LCD display that has been installed with the device for the comfort of the user.
The measurement range of this device varies from 0 mm to 25.4 mm (or 0 inches to 1 inch). The tip of this gauge is made of plastic to retain its durability for long periods of time!
The range of this tire depth gauge is as follows:
- Dangerous : If the range is between 0 mm to 2.4 mm (or 0 inches to 3/32 inches), then the tire should be replaced immediately.
- Warning : If the range is between 2.4 mm to 4.75mm (or 3/32 inches to 6/32 inches), then you need to be careful while driving. Do make sure to change tires when you go out in extreme weather conditions (like snowy or rainy weather) and when driving upon sloppy roads.
- Safe : If the range is between 4.75 mm and 25.4 mm (or 6/32 inches to 32/32 inches), then you are completely safe!
3. Slime 20177 Tread Depth Tire Gauge
The ranges of this tread depth gauge vary from 1/32 inches to 1 inch. In millimeter scale, it varies from 1 mm to 25 mm. It comes with a durable body. It has a small size which makes it easily portable. It also has a built in storage clip made of stainless steel.
This gauge is also color coded into three threat levels. The colors with their threat levels are as follows:
- Red – It varies from 1/32 inches to 3/32 inches. This color indicates that it is dangerous to travel with a tire of this tread depth.
- Yellow – It varies from 3/32 inches to 6/32 inches. This color is an indication of a warning. A warning sign means you should replace the tire in case of harsh weather conditions that make travelling harder and roads that are uneven.
- Green – It varied from 6/32 inches to 1 inch. This indicates that your tire is safe to travel with.
4. Steelman Color Coded Tread Depth Gauge
This gauge is quick and reliable. It has been designed to give accurate measurements of the depth gauge as soon as possible. It also has two scales, one of which reads the measurements in inches and the other in millimetres in order to make reading convenient for the user. It is also designed to hold down the value for a longer period of time before jumping back into the neutral position to make sure the user can get the values without any difficulties.
The gauge is also color coded in order to indicate various danger levels of the tire caused by the tread depth. The color and their ranges are as followed:
- Red : Dangerous; the range is from 0 inches to 3/32 inches (or from 0 mm to 2.4 mm).
- Yellow : Warning; the range of this color is from 3/32 inches to 6/32 inches (or from 2.4 mm to 4.75 mm).
- Green : Safe; anything over 6/32 inches (or over 4.75 mm) is safe for the tire.
The gauge is also compact and can be carried around easily with the help of the pocket clipper.
5. Audew Digital Tire Tread Depth Gauge
Taking measurements and reading them has been made easy in this gauge! The large LED/LCD display screen is very convenient to use and also pretty accurate. This gauge has a measurement range that varies from 0 mm to 25.4 mm. It is highly accurate, nearly up to 0.01 mm. It is also easy to operate and can be used for vehicles like cars, bikes, trucks and vans!
This gauge can also switch immediately between inch and millimeter scale. In order to make relative measurements easy, any position can be set to 0. As the gauge is small in size, carrying it around is easy.
The entire set of this pack includes a tread depth gauge, a battery and a case that is easily portable.
6. Outus Tire Tread Depth Gauge
The gauge is highly commendable for its clear markings system. The markings are done pleasantly with much accuracy and clarity, making it easy to read, which helps measuring faster and easier.
The range of this gauge is from 0 inches to 1 inch, variations between the points marked in 32nds. It can be used for all kinds of automobiles and other vehicles. The gauge is also compact in size and easy to carry around. It comes with a pocket clip so the chances of losing it are reduced.
Like most gauges, this is also color coded in order to ensure better understanding of tread depth levels and the threats involved. The color phases as provided by the gauge is as follows:
- Red – Dangerous
- Yellow – Warning
- Green – Safe
The entire package of this set includes two tire tread depth gauges. One Can never be too careful so having an extra is always handy.
7. GODESON Tire Tread Depth Gauge 88703
The GODESON tire tread depth gauge is a capable gauge that can measure the tread depth with much accuracy. It can measure a range of 0 inch to 13/32 inch, all the variations made in 32nds. This gauge, like the others, is also color coded to enable a better understanding of the range and threats caused by their levels individually.
The color codes are as shown below, with their respective ranges:
- Red : Varies from 0 inches to 3/32 inches; dangerous; tire to be replaced immediately.
- Yellow : Varies from 3/32 inches to 6/32 inches; warning; tire to be replaced under extreme weather conditions and improper roads.
- Green : Varies from 6/32 inches to 13/32 inches; safe; tire need not be replaced.
The gauge also comes with a pocket clip as it is small. This makes it easy to carry around.
8. MS-48B Digital Combination Tire Tread Depth Gauge
This depth gauge measures the tread depth range from 0 inches to 19/32 inches. The readings are marked in a variation of 1/32 inches. There are also color coded bars in order to indicate if the tires are safe or not. The color codes are as follows :
- Red – Dangerous, it is suggested that one must change their tires immediately for this color code.
- Yellow – This color code marks a warning, the tire may be safe on smooth roads but must be replaced when travelling in extreme conditions like rainy or snowy weathers.
- Green – The color of safety if obviously green. This indicates that you are good to go.
It is a handy tool that can also measure air pressure to a maximum range of 99 PSI. This gauge comes with an extra large digital display to make reading the measurements more easy and convenient.
9. Pangda 20 Pack Tire Tread Depth Gauge
The measurements of this tire tread gauge is in 32nds. It starts from 0 inch and goes up till 1 inch. This gauge is also color coded to understand the ranges better with more ease.
The range is as follows:
- Red : This range varies from 0 inch to 3/32 inch. It determines that the tread is low and the tire is to be replaced.
- Yellow : This range varies from 3/32 inch to 6/32 inch. This particular range gives you a waning. A tire with this tread will last for a while but it is preferable to change the tire.
- Green : This range varies from 6/32 inch to 1 inch. This range indicates that you are safe and sound!
This tire tread is small in size which makes it easy to carry around. It also comes with a pocket clip for convenient usage. The entire package includes 20 tire tread depth gauges. The gauge also has 6 side range marks that are all clear to read.
10. PROND Tire Tread Depth Gauge
This Prond depth gauge has a measurement range of 0 inch to 1 inch in 1/32 inches. The markings are done such that you can read them with ease.
The range and their indications are as follows:
- 0 inches to 3/32 inches : This is a range that says the tire is dangerous to travel with. For safety, the tire must be replaced as soon as possible.
- 3/32 inches to 6/32 inches : If this is the range you see, then consider it a warning. One needs to be careful when driving with a tire like this. It is recommended to change tires for better outcome when driving under extreme conditions.
- 6/32 inches to 32/32 inches : At this range, the tire is absolutely safe to drive with, so enjoy your ride!
The device has been designed with materials like durable plastic and stainless steel, which helps in increasing the durability of the device. It also comes with a pocket clip which makes it easy to carry around. It is also compatible with various automobiles and other vehicles.
That brings us to the end of our list. They say better be safe than sorry. So choose a tread gauge of your choice, measure your tread depth, determine the threat level, act accordingly and you’re good to go!
Stay safe and drive safe! Happy travelling!